Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Some Thoughts



You guys, life, I have so far learned, is full of lessons that can, if we let them, help us become great. Have I sold you yet? The catch to learning these lessons is that we have to go through things that are, for lack of a better word, uncomfortable. The classic example is when you want to be fit. You can not be fit without  disciplining yourself from what you eat to how hard you exercise. It is hard, a lot of times it is NOT fun, and no matter how many vegetables you eat you always crave carbs or sugar! However, if you are diligent in your discipline you persevere and end up fit as a fiddle! The rewards are physically, mentally, and emotionally noticeable. You can't imagine your life before you lost the weight and question why you ever lived that way. The same applies to life in general.
Although life can be challenging and for good reason, I believe we have a cheerleader, a motivator, a friend to lean on, an advocate, a Savior, the Jesus Christ on our side helping us through it all. I believe in the Book of Mormon as another testament of who Jesus Christ is and what his teachings are. As I have read this book, along side the Bible, I have come closer to Christ, understanding Him and His love for all His children better, and I have been blessed by living His teachings.
And so in light of this introduction, I want to share some thoughts I have gained from the stories told in the Book of Mormon:

The Book of Ether – found in the Book of Mormon – has so many, key life lessons that can help us overcome adversity by relying on our Savior.
     
After the brother of Jared and his people constructed the dish ships they “set sail” to find the Promised Land the Lord kept telling them about. The words that are spoken in chapter 6 of Ether are amazing and can totally relate to our life:
 – and it came to pass that when they had done
all these things they got aboard of their vessels or barges,
and set forth into the sea, commending
themselves unto the Lord their God.
And it came to pass that the Lord God
caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon
the face of the waters, towards the promised
land; and thus they were tossed upon the
waves of the sea before the wind.
And it came to pass that they were many times
buried in the depths of the sea…
And it came to pass that when they were buried
in the deep there was no water that could hurt them…
therefore when they were encompassed about
by many waters they did cry unto
the Lord, and he did bring them forth again
upon the top of the waters…
And they did sing praises unto the Lord…[and]
did thank and praise the Lord all the day long…
they did not cease to praise the Lord.
Ether 6:4-9
                Oh my goodness! Aren’t the scriptures incredible?! We learn from these five verses that we can CHOOSE to follow the Lord in faith. The people of Jared “set forth into the sea.” They showed God that they were willing to follow him even into the unknown.
                I have come to understand that the Lord allows or lets the furious winds blow upon us because it leads us TOWARDS the Promised Land. It sometimes is so hard and we are “many times” buried in the sea. However, as we have faith in God’s plan, His timing, His knowledge, etc. then we can see that the Lord will never let the water hurt us. In fact, as we see this it makes it easier to turn to the Lord and praise him and “not cease.”
                I am sure they were scared, I do not think having faith prevents us from feeling scared at times. Being scared is a natural feeling. However the people of Jared cried unto the Lord “all the day long” because they did not let that fear govern their lives, but chose to continually put their faith in God.
                I know life can feel like you are in a continual storm, constantly burying you under water, sometimes without any breaks. BUT, as you put your faith in Jesus Christ, He will protect you, make you stronger, give you courage, and help you see that it all is for your good, leading you towards the Promised Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment